Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Who is getting 408 errors?

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner crisisdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2002
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Well, Sakura emailed me saying that she was always getting 408 errors, which usually means that our bandwidth is too great. HOWEVER, the web host that we currently use is renown for the fact that they have unlimited bandwidth (with no small print) and that they never give bandwidth error pages. Hmmm...so I'm just hopin that it's Sakura, but if it's not, we'll have to consider getting rid of either zips or online scanlations to free up bandwidth. I don't *think* it's a bandwidth problem though since Toriyama's World also uses our webhost, and they probably consume 10 x more bandwidth than we do. ^^

    Let me know everyone! Thanks!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Mizuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 10th, 2002
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Personally, I think you should keep zipped scanlations because it would be much easier for the viewers to look at it instead of waiting each scan load online. (Keep the scan resolution low. If it is high some people may even dare take the scanlations and not credit.) With zipped scanlations you will not have to code a webpage for every chapter and if there is a broken link it gets really annoying.

    By zipping the scans the visitor could have something to look forward to when they're done downloading and such.

    Edit: No 408 errors on my computer.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 16, 2002 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Mizuki ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member sakurayuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2002
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ^0^ i probably shouldn't say this publicly, crisis, but it's probably because they pay more than we do. =) btw, can you make me an admin as well?? i forgot your pw. ^^``

    yours,
    sakura

  4. #4
    Inactive Member tenjou_sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm...I didn't get 408 errors, but yesterday it took an extra long time to download the pages...I just thought that the server was lagging. But everything is fine now...and personally I like the zips better, because it's faster for me. ^_^

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner crisisdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2002
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm...haha...well, we can say this pubicly. They pay more because they need more space, but I never noticed anything saying that people who pay for more space get better bandwidth. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Yes, I know that a lot of people like zips. But a lot of people like online scanlations too! Gah! Hmm...I was thinking that with zips, the pages could probably be bigger and nicer looking than they are now. And I'm not really worried about people stealing our scanlations. If they do, I'm sure someone will find out and we'll hunt them down. ~.^

    What do you think on this? I'll probably hold a survey or something soon on what to do. ^^

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mizuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 10th, 2002
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Zipped scanlations are very popular and more convienent. If you increase the scan size and quality then it'd be very nice, but does that mean you would redo the other scans and such? I hear that .PNG is very convienent as well because .JPG and .GIF aren't very kind to scans. If you plan to zip scanlations then try .PNG on a trial run and see how it goes (just for 2-3 chapters).

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Marsell's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2002
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    GIFs are just as kind to scans as PNG's (if both are grayscale). Unfortunately, they're both quite large.

    I've done some experiments with PNG's, but they typically come to be twice as large as jpegs, even when using pngcrush. The only way to keep the size reasonable is to start with high-quality scans, which are hard to get unless you physically take the manga apart (using an exacto knife) before scanning.

    That said, I'd like it if the editors started receiving PNG's to edit. The final product can still be jpegs if necessary, but at least there would be only one layer of artifacts in the final product, not two. It'll also keep the filesize of final jpegs lower (much less noise).

    In fact, I'd go as far as to strongly recommend this. I think I spend 50% of my time cleaning up artifacts, and it's one of the barriers to higher quality.

    Edit: Mind you, it would be nice if we could use PNG's for the final product too, but that's impossible until the editors receive lossless images first. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 18, 2002 05:26 AM: Message edited by: Marsell ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Grey_Elf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2002
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    Can somebody give me a link to the Omanga project site cause God knows why I m receiving only 404 error message......

    Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Wiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2002
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *pat* Omanga's been down for several days. It's not just you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •